Tuesday, April 1, 2008

One might call this an obsession

Millie Seaton Doll Museum - I lived in San Marcos for 5 years and never knew this was here.

I went to a baby shower this past weekend in San Marcos. The hostesses rented a historical home just south of the square known as the Doll House. It's a beautiful 3 story Victorian style home. It's also the creepiest and yet captivating places I've been for a baby shower. Everywhere you looked, in every room, in every corner of every room there are dolls. Every kind of doll ever made from antique to Raggedy Ann to Betty Boop to Cabbage Patch to Barbie. Dolls from the 19th century, dolls from foreign countries, dolls that looked like celebrities, dolls that I had as a kid. It was amazingly eerie walking around being stared at by thousands of eyes. They approximate about 5,000 dolls reside at the Doll House, all owned by one woman I'm told. I can just imagine the amount of money that went into this place and it's occupants. They don't have a website and I don't believe they are open to the public everyday, but they give tours. Next time I go, I HAVE to remember my camera.

"Good friendships are fragile things and require as much care as any other fragile and precious thing."- Randolph Bourne

3 comments:

pittypatpages.blogspot.com said...

This would freak me out -- it would be as bad as a house full of clowns! No, I'm thinking the clowns would be worse.
GREAT blog, Sarah -- I knew you could do it!! And very interesting!!
PS: You have an awfully cute doggy there!
A Pat

EssentialEm said...

WOW!! FREAKY!!! I wouldn't want to be there after dark!! Just imagine all those eye STARING AT YOU!!!

koenigkc said...

I hope there were no clowns in there. That's the part I'd be worried most about...