Thursday, March 27, 2008

Going home again

I went back home for Easter, as I do every year. And may I say, things have changed a bit... just as they do every year. The drive in is different, the country side is different, even my parents home is different.

I grew up on the West side of San Antonio outside the city. Friends called it the boondocks though some might disagree - it's not like we lived OUT in the country, so you had to drive 20 minutes to get to the grocery store. The 30 it took to get to the mall was a little rough in the teenage years. Oh how things change. Now there is a Wal-mart with in 2 miles. Just across the street is a huge HEB. This weekend I went shopping at Kohls - who shares a parking lot with the grocery store. Back in my day, we were excited about the Sonic and Bill Millers that opened when I was in high school. Now there's a Taco Cabana, Starbucks, Burger King, Double Dave's, Panda Express and a Pei Wei.

When growing up I don't remember appreciating the city or really feeling anything significant towards living there. I'm not sure I even thought much on where I would end up some day, though I did know I wanted to live in Texas. What I do remember is loving the feeling of being home at my parents house. That comforted feeling of being surrounded by the comfort and love and contentment and - oh the list goes on. Even the house has changed though. Where there was carpet now is wood floors. The backyard is unrecognizable with a rock paved patio and hot tub - I would have really like having that during high school :) There is a dog that sleeps in my parents bed - that soooo wouldn't have happened 10 years ago. My room isn't mine anymore with a shiny bedspread and antique furniture.

Now that I've lived away for awhile and experienced the differences from one Texas town to the next, I analyze the qualities of San Antonio. Things I like and things I don't. Though things are a-changing on the West side of SA, the city keeps itself somehow the same. My parent's home is so different from what it was then, yet it still feels like home and comfort. I don't know that I'll ever reside in that city again, but I like that I live close enough to visit often.



"No one can go back and make a brand new start, my friend, but anyone can start from here and make a brand new end." - Anonymous

1 comment:

koenigkc said...

I don't look at your site for a few days and VOILA - posts!!! Kudos my dear cuz, KUDOS!

I like this post. It's how I've started to view Pipe Creek as well.